For all of our other WordPress themes, if you would like to set up your site to look like our demo, meaning to get the same layout, colors, menu, and more, then you can download the theme’s sample content (demo files) from your dashboard.
Here’s how to set up the sample data:
- Download, install, and activate the WordPress theme that you will be using. This is separate from the sample data downloaded above. You can find our themes in the main download section. Make sure you are using our themes on a self-hosted WordPress (the one where you installed WordPress in your hosting account) and not a WordPress.com hosted platform.
- Install and activate the recommended plugins after activating your theme.
- Go to Plugins > Add New > and search for Classic Editor. Install and activate Classic Editor.
- Download the sample data for your theme above.
- Unzip/extract the folder you downloaded. Inside of the folder, you’ll find a few files. The .xml file contains the demo content. The .wie file the widgets. A .txt that includes the instructions, and in some themes, another .txt/.json for the theme options settings.
- If you’re using a WooCommerce theme, install and activate the WooCommerce plugin to import the sample store products.
If you’re using one of our church themes, install and activate The Events Calendar plugin in order to import the calendar from the demo.
- Let’s set up the widgets (if the folder you extracted does not have a .wie file, then you can skip this step). Go to the Plugins page and select Add New. Search for “Widget Importer & Exporter”. Install and activate the plugin. After that, go to the Tools section and select Widget Importer & Exporter. Choose to import the .wie file. It should be something like yourtheme-widgets.wie.
- Go to the Tools section and select Import. From the list of types of data to import, select WordPress. Follow the prompts. A plugin will be installed. Finally, when prompted to choose a file, select the .xml file. It will be named after the theme, so, for example, for our Forward theme, the file will be something similar to forward.xml. You can choose to create a new user named after the one in the demo. However, we recommend attributing all the posts to your own user. Also, please make sure to check the box for “Download and import file attachments” if you want WordPress to download our images, videos, and/or files to your installation. Note that you must still remove our images and videos as some are copyright protected. They serve as placeholders until you set up your own. You must delete our images and videos from your WordPress Media page if you have imported them. This will also help you save server space. Some files may display a “Failed to import” and/or “already exists” message(s) during the import process and that’s normal at this step as the WordPress import system is not perfect. You can safely proceed. After importing, you should go to Pages and Posts to delete the pages and posts (move to trash and then delete permanently) that you don’t need.
- Some of our themes use a separate Theme Options page. Some of our themes do not have a Theme Options section. If your theme does have one, you’ll find it in the Appearance section of your WordPress dashboard. There is a .txt or .json file there that you can use to import those options. If you don’t see Theme Options in your appearance section, go ahead and skip this step. Go to the Appearance section and select Options Import/Export. Here, you can upload a file to set up the Theme Options like the demo. Select the .txt (or .json) file, which will be named yourtheme-options.txt/.json.
- Very important step! Go to the Settings section and select Reading. Here, you can choose what your front page and blog page display. Choose to have it display a static page, and then choose “Home” or “Welcome” from the Homepage drop-down menu. Choose “Blog” from the Posts page drop-down. Scroll down and click the save button.
- Lastly, go to the Appearance section and select Menus. This is where you set up your WordPress navigation menus. At the top, you should see a tab labeled ‘Manage locations’. Click on that tab and assign the imported navigation menus to their spots in the theme. If no menu items are visible, you’ll have to manually create your menu/mega menu. Follow our video tutorial to learn how to create menus.
That should have your site looking like the demo. If the widgets are not appearing normally, you may need to go to the Appearance section and select Widgets. You may need to save the widgets there again to have them display as you’d like to.
If you have any questions or trouble, let us know by contacting us.