If you would like to set up your site to look like our demo, meaning to get the same layout, colors, menu, and more, then you can download the theme’s sample content (demo files) in your dashboard.
Here’s how to set up the sample data:
- Download, install, and activate the theme that you will be using. This is separate from the sample data downloaded above. You can find our themes in the main download section.
- Download the sample data for your theme above.
- Unzip the folder you downloaded. Inside of the folder, you’ll find a few files. The .xml file has the demo content. There could be one or two .txt files, and a .wie file.
- If you’re using a WooCommerce theme, install and activate the WooCommerce plugin to import the sample store products.
If you’re using one of our church themes, install and activate The Events Calendar plugin in order to import the calendar from the demo.
- Go to the Tools section and select Import. From the list of types of data to import, select WordPress. Follow the prompts. A plugin will be installed. Finally, when prompted to choose a file, select the .xml file. It will be named after the theme, so, for example, for the Forward theme, the file will be something like forward.xml. You can choose to create a new user named after the one in the demo. However, we recommend attributing all the posts to your own user. Also, please check the box for “Download and import file attachments”.
- Some of our themes use a separate Theme Options page. Some of our themes do not have a Theme Options section. If your theme does have one, you’ll find it in the Appearance section of your WordPress dashboard. There is a .txt or .json file there that you can use to import those options. If you don’t see Theme Options in your appearance section, go ahead and skip this. Go to the Appearance section and select Options Import/Export. Here, you can upload a file to set the Theme Options like the demo. Select the .txt (or .json) file, which will be named yourtheme-options.txt/.json.
- If you’d like to set up your widgets like the demo, go to the Plugins section and select Add New. Search for “Widget Importer & Exporter”. Install and activate the plugin. After that, go to the Tools section and select Widget Importer & Exporter. Choose to import the .wie file. It should be something like yourtheme-widgets.wie.
- Very important step! Go to the Settings section and select Reading. Here, you can choose what your front page and blog page display. Choose to have it display a static page, and then choose “Home” from the Homepage drop-down menu. Choose “Blog” from the Posts page drop-down. Scroll down and click the save button.
- Lastly, go to the Appearance section and select Menus. This is where you set up your WordPress navigation menus. At the top, you should see a tab labeled ” Manage locations”. Click on that tab and assign the imported navigation menus to their spots in the theme.
That should have your site looking like the demo. If the widgets are not appearing normally, you may need to go to the Appearance section and select Widgets. You may need to save the widgets there again to have them display as you’d like to.
If you have any questions or trouble, let us know by contacting us.